Re: '70 GT Questions

To: "Dan Ray" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: '70 GT Questions
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 20:41:12 -0700
>I guess I assumed that he meant brake fluid -- given the possible
>translation (my wife is German, and although ich spreche Deutch, I have a
>tough time with the tech/mechanical words of that language. I wouldn't mind
>working for BMW or MB in some capacity some day, though)
>Wet drums mean only one thing in my experience, but I suppose your
>suggestion is possible, although improbable. Wet drums = blown cylinder =
>replace both cylinder and shoes. Right? Right!
>:)
>Dan

Actually, I know several non-LBC's for which differential oil leaking
into the brake drum is a common occurrence. 60's Mopar 7.25/8.25" axles
for instance (I have one in my driveway with a frozen drum as a result).
In theory it happens because of 1) overfilling the diff; 2) breather cap
clogged; but in my case it just does it chronically (warped axle tube?).
Replaced the seal 3 times (twice by shops). Anyway, it's certainly a
possibility, though I admit brake fluid is the obvious culprit.

Max Heim
'66 MGB
runs great, needs paint
Palo Alto CA