Re: I need a new engine (I think)

To: "Art Pfenninger" <ch155@FreeNet.Buffalo.EDU>,
Subject: Re: I need a new engine (I think)
From: "jspeiser" <jspeiser@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 19:03:18 -0400
I am rebuilding my MGB engine which is missing the number plate.  I had
spent a bit of time eyeing its features and the drawings in Moss and VB
catalogs to finally figure out that it seems to be a 1965-1967 engine.  And
then I took it out of the car last week, disassembled and cleaned it, and -
you guessed it - found those date disks in the iron casting of both the
block and the cylinder head that show the exact month-day-year of casting!
I'm sure all you experienced guys know all about this but it was news to
me.  So I learned that the head dates from September and the block from
November 1966.  Too cool.  I still don't know the engine number, but I know
the date of manufacture of the head and block.  Maybe some of you listers
can tell me how to get the approximate serial number from the date of
manufacture . . . Many thanks!
My 2 cents . . .
John Speiser
'53 TD with '66 MGB engine and OD tranny