Re:Re: I need a new engine (I think)

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re:Re: I need a new engine (I think)
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 1998 11:11:34 -0600

> somebody saw me working on my midget, and asked me if I knew anybody
>looking fo a
>motor for a B , well I guess it came out of an austin marina ? It has
>30k, an automatic trans. zenith carb,
>a 1800cc. I have never seen this motor, but for $ 350, if it runs good (
>said it did ) it wouldn't be a bad deal.
>I just don't know if it'll fit in a B.
>  If any one is interested, I can put you in touch. Then motor is in the
>Cleveland area.
>john.kahoon@juno.com
>71 midget

When I bought my 71BGT, I knew that something was different about the
engine. I found out when I was replacing the transmission (with an OD
unit), that it was an engine from an Austin Marina. The Marina engine still
used a standard 18V block, same as the MGBs in the early 70s.

There was only one significant difference - the pilot bushing in the
crankshaft was significantly smaller. So the DPO took the shaft from the
transmission that goes into the pilot bushing and had it sized to fit.

Since then I have replaced my engine with a standard 72 B motor (slightly
modified - I used the earlier pistons to convert the engine into the high
compression model, the old standard 9:1). But I saved that front shaft from
the old transmission. It may need to be cleaned up but if anyone wants this
Marina motor or needs to convert, I'll part with this piece since I no
longer have a need for it.

David
71 BGT
74 Landcruiser (no top!)