Re: Dashboard puzzle

To: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Subject: Re: Dashboard puzzle
From: Bill Schooler <schooler@erols.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 15:49:52 -0400
Paul Hunt wrote:

> Douglas McKinnie wrote:
> >
> > >Next plan is to tackle the 180 degree rotation for the steering column
> > >stalks and perhaps put a bulb/socket under the empty map light cap on
> > >the dash.
> >
> > All of the cars that I've driven lately in the UK have had the
> > turn signal stalk on the left. The only one I've ever driven
> > with the stalk on the right was a Mitsubishi van that I drove
> > in Malta. It was quite a hassle switching from that to our
> > other car, and I did the 'wipers on dry glass' trick frequently
> > in both.
> >
> > I just assumed that indicators on the left stalk was one of
> > those things that everyone did the same, like having the clutch
> > pedal on the left and the accelerator on the right. I'd never
> > encountered them on the right until driving this van. It did
> > keep the stalk out of the way of the shifter for the
> > transmission, which was on the left (as appropriate for a RHD
> > car.)
> >
> > What is the standard MGB position for the indicator stalk in
> > RHD cars? (Here I admit that I have never driven an MGB outside
> > of North America)
> >
> > Douglas McKinnie
>
> I mainly drive two B's (right-hand stalk, literally!) and hate it when I get
>it
> wrong on the occasional euro-box hire car, then get it wrong again when I get
>back
> into one of the B's.  I think MGB's always had the indicator stalk on the
>right,
> LHD and RHD.  Britain eventually 'standardised' on the European left-hand
>stalk
> simply for the manufacturers benefit.  Before you could brake, blip the
>throttle,
> de-clutch, change gear, indicate and flash the lights all at the same time.
>Now
> (in a euro-box) you can't.
>
> PaulH.

Paul,

On my 69 B, US Specs, the left hand stalk controls indicators, high
beams, and flasher, as well as the horn (push in on the end).  Right
hand stalk contained controls for the wipers, washers (another end
push), and overdrive.

Drove this car while in England, as well as a RHD Vauxhall Viva which
had the stalk functions reversed.  Was forever turning on the wipers
when intending to signal....on both cars.

--
*Bill Schooler      *Check the MGCC Wash DC Centre Web Page
*Woodbridge, VA     *http://members.aol.com/mgccwdcc/