Re: A/C certification...

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: A/C certification...
From: Keith Wheeler <keithw@sand.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 12:47:32 -0700
Jim  Carney wrote:

>It is a fact that R-12 contributes to the destruction of the ozone layer.

It is a fact that in chlorine radicials break down O3...but I have a few
questions.

1) how does a big molecule like R-12 make it that high up into the atmosphere?

2) wouldn't the hole be over, say florida (lots of airconditioners) or
some such instead of over antartica?

3) O3 is produced in the upper atmosphere by Uv (solar) radiation.
Dooesn't it make sense for there to be a hole over someplace where
the sun doesn't shine for months on end?

4) This effect had been demonstrated for many years.  Why was it not a
major problem until Dupont's patent for R-12 was about to run out?

5) For a *very* stable molecule like R-12 to break down it requires a lot
of energy....you guessed it, the model requires the free cholorine radicals
to be produced by R-12 absorbing Uv!!!

...so the problem is some molecule that may or may not be making its way
to the upper atmosphere may or may not be abosrbing Uv, thereby destroying
the O3 so that we are all going to die from too much Uv?  What?

We have *no* information on the ozone layer.  Who knows if what we've seen
in these tiny, tiny, decades means in the fluctuations of a millions of
years old system?

Politically correct knee jerk reactions do not constitute science.  Yes,
free chlorine radicals (like what is present in the volcanic gas that
naturally occurs in antartica) will destroy O3, but that doesn't answer
all those questions about R-12.

-Keith Wheeler
Team Sanctuary                          http://www.teamsanctuary.com/