Re: Modern Sports Cars

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Modern Sports Cars
From: Mike Hartwig <mhartwig@cbu.edu>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 22:10:23 -0500
At 08:29 PM 6/18/98 EDT, Rick Morrison wrote:
>>  When the original poster said "properly built 3.9" I took that
>>to mean a seriously developed version of the original
>>3.5L rover, something that would take a very long time
>>to produce.
>
>Not as long as you might think.  Osselli Engineering (UK) has some very
>nice HIGH output 3.9 Rover engines for reasonable prices. A phone call
>and a high limit credit card all that is needed. I once saw one in an
>English mag  that they had installed in a BGT. HP estimates were in
>excess of 400.

The horsepower in our MGB V-8 3.5 liter is hoped to be around 175+ at
flywheel, but the real kicker is the torque, with expected torque around
225 ft-lbs.

With the 5-speed T-Bird gearbox and 3.00 rear end, we should have a load of
fun, but we feel that we may need to beef up the frame to handle the
massive (as compared to MGB 4 banger, not Viper) torque.

It's not a Viper; it's not a Porsche; it's a MGB V-8. Nuff said!

And this is an excellent way to make a rubber bumper B acceptable, in my
opinion.

And just so you guys don't drool too much over the great power, let me add,
this is a huge project.  Many manhours, many headaches, many arguments,
many, many dollars; but hopefully, no oil leaks, no getting beat by kids on
bicycles, no excuses, and surely no stinking siamesed exhaust ports.

Jay
'70 B daily driver
'65 B in pieces and primered and looking for a new home
'78 B V-8 camaro and mustang eater (right, keith wheeler?)

PS Looking for an MGA (most beautiful car on earth)
PPS Why is the MGB transmission cross member such a b*tch to get back on?