Re: Insurance for a young LBC Buff

To: "Larry Bull" <lbull@dreamscape.com>
Subject: Re: Insurance for a young LBC Buff
From: Ben Ruset <bruset@home.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 23:24:02 -0400
>My 23 year old son has taken up my love for LBC's and bought a 1959 MGA
>which runs good but needs body restoration.  He has a good driving record
>but at 23 we are having real difficulty finding an insurance company which
>will underwrite his car.  Most to the companies specializing in antique
>autos will not touch anyone under 25 and his current insurance company will
>only insure it for book value (almost nothing).  Does anyone have some ideas
>as to how we might approach this problem?  I hate to see him loose interest
>in LBC's because he can not get his on the road.

I'm 20, soon to be 21. Last week I insured my 78 MGB with State Farm in New
Jersey. (bleh!)

Insurance on my 89 Cougar and my 78 MGB turns out to be like $2400 a year -
this is with four points, mind you.

They also will only pay to book value, which means that I need to be EXTRA
careful with what happens to the car. However, when the car is done, it will
probably book around $5,000 - at or near the amount I think I will eventually
spend on the car. If it disappears, gets scratched, etc, I'll take my $5k and
get another one! =)

I pray that my 89 Cougar gets stolen! =)

Oh, I carry full comp, no collision, no deducatble on both cars.

BEN RUSET - http://members.home.com/bruset
The MGB Haven & MG Cars Webring  - http://members.home.com/mgbhaven