Valve adjustment...a few questions

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Valve adjustment...a few questions
From: BDurgin1@aol.com
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 18:29:30 EDT
I adjusted my valves last night to .015 per the manual.  when I started the
car it sounded like a steam engine...what a racket!  Too late to open it again
so I'm going to try again tonight.

The valves seemed pretty tight before, according to the feeler guage, although
I didn't take an absolute reading (of course !).  The last adjustment was a
bout 3 years ago and 7 or 8000 miles back.  I am pretty sure I did the right
thing, but:
1.  I assume the valves are counted from the front to the back?  That is, No.
1 is at the front of the engine and No.8 is at the back?  (please tell me I
did THAT right!)

2.  How can you tell when the valve spring is completely depressed, indicating
an open valve?

Bruce " I'm no MG mechanic" Durgin
64 B