Re: Valve adjustment...a few questions

To: BDurgin1@AOL.COM
Subject: Re: Valve adjustment...a few questions
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 22:13:08 EDT
On Mon, 29 Jun 1998 18:29:30 EDT BDurgin1@aol.com writes:
>I adjusted my valves last night to .015 per the manual.  when I
>started the
>car it sounded like a steam engine...what a racket!  Too late to open
>it again
>so I'm going to try again tonight.
>
>The valves seemed pretty tight before, according to the feeler guage,
>although
>I didn't take an absolute reading (of course !).  The last adjustment
>was a
>bout 3 years ago and 7 or 8000 miles back.  I am pretty sure I did the
>right
>thing, but:
>1.  I assume the valves are counted from the front to the back?  That
>is, No.
>1 is at the front of the engine and No.8 is at the back?  (please tell
>me I
>did THAT right!)
It doesn't matter whether you count from the back to front or front to
back. The "rule of 9" will work either way.

>2.  How can you tell when the valve spring is completely depressed,
>indicating
>an open valve?
 Easiest way is to watch the rocker at the valve stem. When it quits
pushing the valve open, stop. If you go a little past, just back up a
"BCH" til it is at it's lowest point. Absolute precision is not a high
priority hear, as the "rule of 9" valve will be on the heel of the cam
lobe, and this is  a relativly wide (in degrees of rotation) portion of
the lobe. So the odd few degrees you may be out on the open valve (from
abolute center of opening) is immaterial.

Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget