Re: Valve adjustment...a few questions

To: BDurgin1@aol.com
Subject: Re: Valve adjustment...a few questions
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 22:54:09 -0500
BDurgin1@aol.com wrote:

> I adjusted my valves last night to .015 per the manual.  when I started the
> car it sounded like a steam engine...what a racket!  Too late to open it again
> so I'm going to try again tonight.

Yep, that is pretty much the way it is. Once the valve clearences are set the
engine makes a lot more noise and that is a good thing.

I had the TR6 out awhile back on a road trip. It had been a pretty hard run in
the
heat and I knew I had given the old six a good work out. I had the bonnet up and
doing a little maintenance in the hotel parking lot. I was listening to the
motor
and could hear the distrinct ticking of maybe three or four valves.

A fellow walks up besides me and says "Gee, from the sounds of things you got a
couple of lifters sticking." And I was thinking, from the quietness of things, I
was burning the exhaust valves up at a pretty good rate as I couldn't hear near
enough valves clicking.

It's a matter of perspective.
--
Bob Allen, Kansas City, w/cool, solid lifter cars.
"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas