Re: rusted bolts

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: rusted bolts
From: Chris Kotting <ckotting@iwaynet.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 08:11:59 -0400
Using a torch can be tricky if there's a finish involved that you want to
preserve.  Here's an alternative that gets the same results at lower
temperatures:

Pack the offending area in dry ice for a while.  Put a wrench on the
offending bolt and apply moderate force.  Gently warm >>the area that the
bolt goes into<< with a propane torch (set very low), heat lamp or heat gun
(you don't need the heat of oxyacetylene this way).  NOTE: if it's a nut
you're trying to remove, warm the wrench and the nut.  You only apply
moderate force with the wrench, because major force will cause you to hurt
yourself when the offending bolt goes "POP" and comes free.  This works
really well with steel bolts in aluminum, by the way.

Most ice-cream places (real ice-cream, not the soft-serve stuff) will sell
you a pound or so of dry ice.

Trevor's right, there's no beating high temperatures 99 and 44/100s percent
of the time, but this can be handy for that other 0.56 of a percent

Chris Kotting
ckotting@iwaynet.net