Re: depressed MGB GT owner

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: depressed MGB GT owner
From: "Jon Årikstad" <jon@nextel.no>
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 1998 11:52:48 +0100
Thanks to all who responded.
I guess i will check the amount of rust on my extra wire wheels. They
are at the PO's house, at the moment. I did NOT plan to use the old
tires !

Also, thanks for the hug, Becky. It was needed.
I have rented a garage, but it is not possible to do jobs like pulling
an engine there.
I had planned to drive the car, do 'small work', and get another garage
in a couple of years. I live in Oslo, the capitol, so finding a garage I
can work in, may take some time.

The weber fits in with all the other things I have on my kitchen table
like books, magazines, watches and other stuff I buy on markeds.

I have two types of friends. The ones who says to themselves,
'he bought an old car, and complains when something fails'
The others, are like my good friend Jan. He has spent 5 years, at least,
on his 57' Volvo. And a LOT of money. And he can sell his car for at
least 1/3 of the cost !! Not much sympathy from them either. more like
'welcome to the club' ( of empty wallets?)

Talked to MG spesialisten yesterday. He is used and recommended by the
Norwegian MG club, but not the cheapest. He also has a lot do do, so
I just have to wait. I think a lot of mechanics think that ' If I can
screw on a Toyota Corolla, I can screw an MG ' ;-)
 Lets hope it is in good hands now.

BTW, I had a trip in a 86' BMW 525 cab.
I have read a lot about the wind in the hair, freedom, ( fresh air ??)
and other nice things about driving an open car. I'm not quite sure.
It's a long time since a drove an open car. I think I prefer a 'saloon',
so my GT is perfect.

I have to say, that I thought the MG's looked a bit 'boring'. But
I fell for  the GT when I found out that my 193cm fittet inside the GT.
Also it was a lot of fun to drive. ( that was last year, before I
bought it, and the engine broke down)
Also I like the idea of making a cheapish car.
Sorry, to long again.

Jon
1970 MGB GT