Re: depressed MGB GT owner

To: "Jon Årikstad" <jon@nextel.no>, mg <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: depressed MGB GT owner
From: Becky Mahoney <bmahoney@home.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 09:25:38 -0500
> Jon said:
snip > I think that the GT looks better than the roadster, don't know
why.

snip> BUT:
> > I thought that the GT was to small !! I am around 6"4' (or is it
> > 6'4",? 193 cm anyway), with a VERY long back so I did not look to
> > much at the MG.

snip> There is something special with English cars .

Jon:
You don't need to apologize for difficulty translating into english!  I
recognize and appreciate your intent and enjoy your sense of humour!  It
is fortunate for everyone that different people like different things.
(that doesn't mean I can't give you a hard time about what you like!)

I have never been able to see what others do in the GT.  The roadster is
just the most incredible car, IMO.  If I ever want to have a GT, I can
get a hardtop for the roadster...That way I could have both. ;~)
Additionally, it would seem to me that someone that is tall would find
it easier to enjoy a roadster since headroom isn't an issue.  But then
I'm only 5'1". (don't know that that would be in cm)  My challenge in an
MG, or any other car for that matter, is being able to reach the pedals
without having the rest of me crammed into the steering wheel. I
describe my legs as 'stubs with feet attached' ;~) The first MG I ever
sat in, because of the way they had the seats rigged, was not a good
experience; there was absolutely no way I could reach the pedals and see
over the steering wheel at the same time.  I believe the owner had
lowered the seat as much as possible and he had actually bolted the seat
directely to the floor.  I didn't buy that car...the mouse droppings in
it were more than I could take.  The car didn't even run....it wouldn't
surprise me if the mice had not added some tasty wires to their nest.
For many years I wished an MG could be in my garage, but just 'knew'
that it wasn't gonna happen.  Why own a car that you can't
drive...better to get something that you can reach the pedals in and see
out of at the same time.  (at one time I found myself wondering if a
person could strap blocks of wood to the pedals...;~)  Fortunately for
me, my love for these cars lead me to another one that I did get to
drive.  I found out that the seats were supposed to be movable and that
I could operate the car without too much difficulty.  I am glad that I
gave them another chance, and also glad that you've found one that suits
your needs.  But, be warned....I'll still give you a hard time about
your closed in, confining, suffocating, old-person who fears freedom,
conservative roadster wannabe...in other words, your GT!!!!
Have a great day!!!!!

Becky
69 MGB roadster that loves the open road and my short legs!