Rusted Ball Joint On NonLBC car

To: MGList <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Rusted Ball Joint On NonLBC car
From: Michael Graziano <mgrazian@ltcm.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 08:04:55 -0400
Hey all.

I've gone and done it again.  Decided to change the lower
right ball joint on my 300zx last night (around 4:30 or
so).  Everything was going nice and smoothly until it came
time to actually remove the BJ from the transverse link.  It
appears the ball joint has rusted to the link, and I just
can't get it out.  First I tried WD40 (Yes I know,  but it's
all I had on hand), then I tried some spit.(patooey ya
bastard) That apparently didn't work either (although it
appears it was just as effective).  The BFH did nothing more
than piss off the neighbors.

What I plan to do tonight (Yes,  I drive the Midget to work.
Not that I wouldn't have anyway - - it's such a beautiful
day) is to soak it with some PB Blaster and then heat it up
with a propane torch and rapid cool it via water.

Here's the question (finally) .... I understand the heating
method work by the metal contracting at different speeds
during the cooling process.  How do I keep the TL from
shrinking faster (and more) than the ball joint and thus
making my job just a little more hellish?   Should I even
try this,  or should I just keep going withthe PB Blaster?
And if I can't find PB Blaster,  what's a good alternative?

Michael

'78 Midget (to the rescue)
'87 300zx (sitting at home on stands)