Grabbing Brakes

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Grabbing Brakes
From: Philip Hubbard <phubbard@carroll.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 1998 20:41:17 -0400
At 07:45 PM 7/11/98 -0400, Art Pfenninger wrote:

>       I would say drive it for a few miles and see what happens. It
>could be that the pads just need a little "adjustment". The noise you hear
>might be the backing plate rubbing on the rotor. Try watching what is
>happening as the rotors turn. If need be you can pry the backing plate out
>with a screw driver if it is rubbing.
>...Art

Thanks Art, for the response.  I have only driven the car a total of about
1 mile since installation of the brakes.  I've been afraid to drive more
because when I stopped after just a 2 minute run to the grocery store, the
rotors were =extremely= hot on both sides.  Seems like I might do some real
damage if I keep driving.  What do you think?  I've had other suggestions
to drive around for a while to see if things break in.  If I'm reasonably
sure I won't cause irreperable damage, I'd love to drive around to test
things out.  :)  Sure felt good just doing the real short test hops.

BTW, it's just the heat that has me worried.  I have a nice firm feel to
the brakes with no uneven tugging or pulsing on braking.

I tryed to watch what was happening when I turned the rotor.  I didn't
notice the rotor hitting the back plate, but I'll try again paying more
attention to that aspect.  I did see the brake pads rubbing the rotor which
is why I've been asking about the grabbing.

Thanks again,
Philip
Burgundy 1974 Midget