Re: Grabbing Brakes

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Grabbing Brakes
From: Philip Hubbard <phubbard@carroll.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 1998 10:15:19 -0400
At 11:08 PM 7/11/98, you wrote:
>Whoa right there!  You didn't mention that symptom the first time around.
>This problem does not fix itself.  Fresh rebuilt calipers and new hoses,
>and still both brakes are dragging severely.  Most likely the problem is
>with the master cylinder, with the fluid return being blocked when the
>pedal is released.
>
>It could be a mechanical problem where the push rod is not releasing all
>the way.  Your brake pedal should have a bit of free play at the top of the
>stroke where you can push the pedal a little with one finger.  With the
>pedal released and fully up, check the push rod at the master cylinder.  It
>should be a little loose so you can wiggle it a bit with your fingers.  If
>it's snug in there, you probably have the problem in hand, as the MC piston
>is likely not retracting all the way to allow the fluid to return.

Again thanks Barney.  I'll take a look at this as well before starting out.
 I have checked for free play in the brake pedal.  There is definitely a
point at the top of the pedal's stroke where I can push it with one finger
before you start to feel the brakes actually engaged.  I'll check the
position of the push rod at the mc with the brake pedal released.

Thank you.
Philip
Burgundy 1974 Midget