Re: WE LOST!!

To: Lawrie Alexander <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Subject: Re: WE LOST!!
From: Patrick Bailey <pbailey@qnet.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 1998 13:03:51 -0700
Lawrie Alexander wrote:

> In our considerable experience, only those cars fail that deserve to. If
> your engine is in good condition and tuned properly, it will pass. We have
> one customer with a '78 B that is running a 3/4 cam and an empty cat and he
> passes every time.
>

> Lawrie
> British Sportscar Center

Lawrie,
Are you testing cars in Calif under the new rules?They now are testing
for NOX which I don't think was tested for when the cars were new,if not
where do they get the allowable NOX figures from?thin air?I hope its
just gloom and doom but our local paper had this on the front page and
the conservative estimate is 25% of the cars will fail This is opening
the flood gates for massive fraud by the mechanics who can charge up to
$450
to get it to comply.The paper also stated it would probably cost an
average of $500 per car.Now we aren't talking smokers here we are
talking cars in good condition that would pass under the old rules but
now will fail because of the added gasses being checked,Our old system
has worked good cleaning up the air a lot BUT that last little bit they
want to get will cost the public an undue hardship.If you believe it
will clean the air I'm afraid you are wearing rose colored glasses.Have
you heard of "energy swapping"?This is wher a big company can still
pollute as long as he trades pollution credits to the EPA
and he gets his pollution credits by crushing a car that failed smog
test and the owner either couldn't afford to get it fixed or it just
wasn't worth it.So the net effect is no less pollution just one less car
and a smokestack somewhere putiing out the same pollution and postponing
cleaning up HIS act until there are no more cars to crush.
If your MG fails and you don't have the $450 or can't see putting that
much into it you can keep it as an planned nonoperation but you can't
drive it or sell it.I just hope I'm overreacting and I guess we will
find out in a few months when the populance gets mad.
Pat