Re: WE LOST!!

To: Patrick Bailey <pbailey@qnet.com>
Subject: Re: WE LOST!!
From: "Christopher G. Moog" <cgmoog@ibm.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 1998 19:32:10 -0400
Patrick Bailey wrote:

> Are you testing cars in Calif under the new rules?They now are testing
> for NOX which I don't think was tested for when the cars were new

NOx limits have been on new cars since mid 70's (not sure exact year can check
when at work if you really need to know)  While I'm no fan of I&M programs (I
believe most targeting the wrong problems and are not as cost effect as they
could be).  I do believe that polluters should be fixed - I'm just not sure the
proper method of identifying them and having them fixed.  That said well running
cars should have no problem with the tests.  The cats used on LBC actually
increase NOx slightly as do all non-three-way cats (which would require require
O2 sensors and feedback carbs) which became popular in the early 1980s as the
NOx
limits were ratcheted down.

> just gloom and doom but our local paper had this on the front page and
> the conservative estimate is 25% of the cars will fail This is opening
> the flood gates for massive fraud by the mechanics who can charge up to
> $450

Some doom and gloom some greed.  Remember the panic about unleaded causing
problems?  While valve recession can and does happen it is rare on street
vehicles.  Remember both sides can blow smoke.

> I just hope I'm overreacting and I guess we will
> find out in a few months when the populance gets mad.

If the measures are unwise then they will be rolled back (god I love democracy).
My guess is that the number of failures will be reasonable.  Most of these will
be poorly running (both old and new cars).  The proper fix will result in a
better running car.  The trick is finding that fix.  Pollution generation
mechanisms are well know, but car designs vary and we insist on limited training
for mechanics to keeps costs down.

This list should help spread the news as to the proper method of passing these
test just as it now spreads the word on proper repair techniques.  These are all
related.