Re: MGA tires

To: "Bill Eastman" <william.eastman@medtronic.com>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: MGA tires
From: "Robert Allen" <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 15:53:09 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>

>Bob Allen wrote:
><<<if you just want a decent tire that will more than handle the awesome
>available performance, call around to the local tire stores and say, "Hi. I
>want some radials for my '67 VW Beetle. Watcha got?">>>
>
>That would probably work on the A alright but don't you need a higher
>load rating for the front tires of that TR-6 to support the lump under the
>bonnet?

The TR6 is nose heavy? Seems absolutely svelte after the C/GT.

Actually, you want tires with a balloon profile on a TR6 and then you want
to hand-cut treads all the way over into the load rating. This helps on both
ends.

On spirited cornering, it provides sidewall traction as the front suspension
tries to fold over on itself. And, out back, you get twice the mileage on
the tires as the IRS usually squats down like a cat in a litter box under
load. (Well, carrying my load, anyway.) You do that for awhile and then
flop'em around for a fresh spare set.

The only thing you have to be careful about is that some tires, like good
Pirellis, have a sidewall with a distinctive corrugated pattern. This is a
problem as that you can't tell the difference on cornering between the tire
flapping over its own decorations or, at night, being beyond the rumble
strip on the road shoulder as you bound off into the corn fields.

That's why TR6s have such large backup lights. You need the illumination as
you're picking your way back onto the road.

>Seriously, I have 165 15 off brand snow tires on the A. They came with
>the car and they do look and feel vintage. I would try to get H rated tires
>if you can.

Okay, Dr, K. Dragger, we'll be serious.

I think most of us like to over-tire our cars. I'm running 195-65R15's on
the TR6 and those are certainly more for looks. 205-70s provide all the
traction you can stand. The 65 series tires provide great road feel,
however. Every pebble, every crack, is felt. If the tire pressures are
right, you can almost fell each individual ear on the cat if the speeds
aren't too high.

On A's and Midget's, the car ain't going to have the performance to
out-handle modern radials. All you're doing with wide tires is increasing
unsprung weight and increasing your front area. Also, if you get the fancy
speed-rated tires, their aggressive tread adds to your road noise and the
stiff sidewalls give a stiff ride.

I guess the main problem is finding skinny performance rubber. It's now
almost impossible to find 'H' rated 70 series tires anymore.

Anyone on this list autocross? Perhaps one of them, perhaps driving an 'A',
can shelve the Attitude long enough for a few pearls. I'll bet you can tell
the difference on an Autocross course but even on spirited back roads, our
light cars with modest power will do fine with any quality radial.

>BTW, Bob, I used to have a 67 Beetle too.

Mine was a '64. Ran G70's in back and F70's in front. Way cool. Way slow.

Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6
"You should avoid introducing yourself as "doctor" to avoid giving the
impression that you are a pompous fool." -- Miss Manners