Re: MGA tires

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: MGA tires
From: Bill Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 11:10:19 -0500
Bob Allen wrote:
<<<if you just want a decent tire that will more than handle the awesome
available performance, call around to the local tire stores and say, "Hi. I
want some radials for my '67 VW Beetle. Watcha got?">>>

That would probably work on the A alright but don't you need a higher
load rating for the front tires of that TR-6 to support the lump under the
bonnet?

Seriously,  I have 165 15 off brand snow tires on the A.  They came with
the car and they do look and feel vintage.  I would try to get H rated tires
if you can.  Not that the A needs the speed rating but my experience is
that they are just better tires and aimed more towards handling than ride
compared to nonrated, S, or T rated tires.  Speed rated tires in this side
are hard to find, however.  On the autocross, the A is a blast to drive
with really lurid slip angles and the body leaned way over (no anti roll
bars on a stock pre Mk II A) but it is also incredibly SLOW.  My arms get a
good workout on that huge steering wheel however.

I saw in a Tire Rack add that someone was selling a 185 65 15 tire or
something very close to this.  Has anyone used these on a car?  Barney
levers 195 60 15 racing tires onto the Attitude A but they are a little
balloon like for a daily driver on stock rims.  Maybe the 185's would be a
better solution.  No experience just postulating.

BTW, Bob,  I used to have a 67 Beetle too.

Regards,
Bill Eastman
61 MGA ready for any freak July snow storm