Re: LBC Roads

To: baldycotton@pop.mindspring.com
Subject: Re: LBC Roads
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 18:17:48 EDT
On Mon, 20 Jul 1998 10:00:55 -0400 baldycotton@pop.mindspring.com writes:
>At 09:33 PM 7/19/98 -0500, you wrote:
>>Would the LIST be a good place to let everyone know these great roads
>(while
>>still continuing onto one's destination) ??
>
>Yes. IF you put the general locations in the subject line.
>
>I'll contribute gladly, but not if the subject says "Here's a great
>drive
>near MY HOMETOWN!  Only to download and read the post, and find out
>it's
>south of  Bumfuq, Egypt.
>
>It's enjoyable to read stuff when people say "the weather was so great
>yesterday, so I took the car out to Walton's Mountain and just cruised
>for
>about 70 miles all alone on twisty roads."
>
>I'd like to see that get started.
>Dave
>'62 MGA 1600 MkII

Good point Dave, and just to show you my heart's in the right place, I'll
give you one.
 From Spartanburg, SC (NW corner of SC at the intersection if I-85 and
I-26), take US 176 to Tryon NC, and continue through what is locally
known as the "Saluda Grade", about 10 miles of turns, with only a few
sections that could pass for straight.
 After passing over the mountain ridge, you will find yourself in the
town of Saluda NC.
Stop, and go "walkabout". A couple of neat antique shops and craft
stores.
 After refreshing yourself, take a left at the center of town, crossing
the RR tracks (isn't hard to find, as "town" is only about 300 yds long,
and there is only one left turn that crosses the tracks) which is Mine
Mountain Road, another twisty bit which will carry you through some great
scenery while never really getting straight, until it dead ends, (after
about 7 miles) into old US 25. Turn right and follow this road through
the Greenville Watershead for another 12-15 miles or so, again enjoying
the scenic views whilst negotiating curves that were laid out (it would
seem) just for LBC's
 This  will bring you to Tuxedo NC, where you turn left and follow the
winding road into East Flat Rock NC (historical claim to fame - E. Flat
Rock Playhouse, and a home of Carl Sandburg) Further along, you will come
to Hendersonville, NC, where you can once again pick up US 176 and  can
either continue on to Asheville NC, or turn back from whence you came.
 Total time from Spartanburg to Hendersonville via the above route; about
1 1/2 hours, and you'll enjoy every second of it.
Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget