Cracked Cylinderheads

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Cracked Cylinderheads
From: neil.cairns@virgin.net
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 1998 18:53:19 -0700
Who ever sent the mail about all 'B' heads cracking, I lost it!!!

Anyway, I agree, but some heads are worse than others. The early Mini
with its 850cc 'A' series was a terror for cracking its head between the
ports on the two inner cylinders. The MIDGET 12G940 1275cc head was a
bad one as well, I have seen these crack BETWEEN exhaust ports, on the
centre siamesed exhaust vales. This inevitably blows the head gasket as
well, and is a real pig to find.

The 12H1326 MGB head also had a name for cracking between the ports on
the two centre cylinders. I now use a kit I use to use on piston engines
on aircraft years ago. You can buy the kit still; it is simply a spray
of red dye, a spray of thinners, and a spray of white stuff, ( like
false snow on the Xmas tree.) You douse the area in the red stuff, after
cleaning it up well. Then wash off with the thinners, ( I think it is
actually turps...), let it dry, then cover the area with the white
stuff. Any red dye in the crack seeps out to show up the fault. A very
tight crack will not show, and this is a drawback of this method. Its
cheap though, and is called NDT, ( Non Destructive Test.)

Neil.