Re: $1000 MGA saga continues.

To: Kevin Richards <flybirds@erols.com>
Subject: Re: $1000 MGA saga continues.
From: David Ambrose <stargazer1@home.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 1998 19:42:13 -0500

Kevin Richards wrote:

> 2. Starter not engaging the flywheel. I tried the TAP method of starter
> resurrection, but to no avail...any tricks??

I presume the starter is spinning.  This started is the inertial
(mis)engagement type. When the starter gets going, the pinion wants to stay
put which rotates it into the flywheel  If the thread on the pinion gets
rusty or full of crud, the pinion can't rotate to engage the flywheel.

 Pull the starter and clean the pinion mechanism.  You can give it a very
light coat of graphite or WD-40.

> Enjoying the premature realization of the "owning an MGA one day"
> Hopefully within the next year she will be roadworthy.

I'm insanely jealous.  :-)  I've been wanting one of these ever since the
year after I sold mine.

One other tip:  Make sure your helper knows where to find the horn switch
before you get your head under the hood.  Otherwise,  the last thing you
hear will be, "What's this?"  :-)