Re: battery drain

To: Atmatndat4@aol.com
Subject: Re: battery drain
From: neil.cairns@virgin.net
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 07:09:05 -0700
Atmatndat4@aol.com wrote:

> my 70 MGB GT has started to mysteriously drain it's battery while parked in my
> driveway.
>snip!!
> amanda

I am ashamed to admit this one, but I had a car that drained its battery
over a period of 5 to 6 days if not used. It did this for over 3 years.
Then one day someone hit me in the off-side-rear, necessitating the
quarter bumper to be removed for the dent to be pulled out. ( It was a
Farina Magnette, and I was hit by a Frenchman driving UP a DOWN slip
road, he was in reverse gear, and was lost.....)

One dark evening I went into the garage to check something or other, and
saw a spooky light emitting from the bolt holes that held on the quarter
bumper. The boot ( trunk) light was on. Its little bracket had been bent
down years before, and the swtich simply never went 'OFF' went the lid
was shut.

Having discharged two batteries til they were completely flat and
useless, I had changed over from a dynamo to an alternator, rewired the
charging system, renewed the car alarm, and eventually simply fitted a
battery off switch under the bonnet, (hood), all for a b****y bent
micro-switch bracket!!!!!!!!!!!

Check the obvious first. Hope yours is easier.

Neil