Re: Distributor condenser measurements(MGB)

To: "MG digest submit" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Distributor condenser measurements(MGB)
From: Phil Raby <mgworld@chp.ltd.uk>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 12:10:44 +0100
On 27/7/98 9:05 am mgs-owner@autox.team.net said

>Haynes and the Workshop Manual describe them as 0.18 to 0.24 microfarad.
>Judging by the physical dimensions they would seem to be quite high voltage,
>which is what is generated as back EMF when the points open, even though the
>primary voltage is only 12v.  A massive capacitor is unlikely to do you a
>lot of
>good, and may cause even more problems for two reasons.  1, if you are
>getting
>points pitting then you have some other problem (ballasted coil running
>un-ballasted? Defective condenser anyway?) and 2, the condenser is not
>just there
>to protect the points but creates a tuned circuit with the inductance of
>the coil
>that generates an oscillating output from the coil.  Change either the
>inductance
>or the capacitance in the tuned circuit and you change the waveform.
>
>My advice is to find and fix the original problem.

I agree, I wouldn't be happy changing the condenser rating. If your
points are burning perhaps you just need a new condensor - you should
always change it when you fit new points. An electronic ignition system
could be worth considering, too.

BTW. If you're ever stuck with a car that won't go cos the condenser's
buggered, if you can hook up a condenser from another car - if it won't
fit, simply leave it hanging outside the distributor body - it'll get you
home.

Cheers,

Philip Raby
Editor, MG World
PO Box 163, Bicester OX6 3YS, UK
Tel: 01869 340061 Fax: 01869 340063 Mobile 0467 767361
www.chp.ltd.uk