Tire wear on 76 MGB

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Tire wear on 76 MGB
From: Robert Alan Reisse <rareisse@postoffice.worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 20:17:57 -0400
Date:   July 27, 1998

A while ago I commented that I was having some trouble with the MGB as it
was stalling and backfiring quite a bit.  Some of you commented that you
didn't trust the Allison Electronic Ignition that was on the car.  Anyway,
I tried the Twist Rolling session at the MG98 convention at Hagerstown.  I
was the third car, the one that he spent most of his time commenting on the
strange rust.  I guess he doesn't like undercoating.  He suggested that it
might be a loose connection.  When I returned home.  I took the distributor
out and readjusted the optical pickups, but there was no evidence of loose
wires.  I hooked up a voltmeter to the + side of the coil and tryied a few
test drives.  When I did have the problem with backfires and a dying Tach,
the voltmeter keep reading a reasonable voltage.  So I felt that the
problem was in the electronic ignition.  I tried the Ignitor Electronic
Ignition from Moss. This is a hall effect (magnetic pickup) so it should be
more immune to misadjustment, which I believe may have been the problem
with the old Allison. It was a farily easy installation and the car appears
to run without the backfires.  I wa sreally happy with the results for a
fairly long drive around my favorite back roads around here.

On to the next problem.  My left front tire is wearing on the inside rather
noticable.  There appears to be no correction for this problem in either
the Bentley or Hayes Manuals.  Any suyggestions.

Bob Reisse
76 MGB - NAMGBR - 8-3559
Baltimore, MD