Re: New Coil

To: DANMAS@aol.com
Subject: Re: New Coil
From: BobMGT@aol.com
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 23:17:22 EDT
In a message dated 8/7/98 3:13:40 PM !!!First Boot!!!, DANMAS writes:

> You are right, the coil itself is not polarity sensitive; However, the spark
> plugs are, and, because of the internal wiring configuration, the way the
> coil is connected to the points creates an apparant polarity sensitive
> situation.
>
>  The tip of the spark plug is hotter than the electrode, which makes it
> easier to discharge electrons from the tip, rather than from the electrode.
> Some estimates say that making the tip negative gives up to a 20 -30 %
hotter
> spark.

Dan:

This makes sense in light of vacuum tube theory. The cathode, which is the
heated element, is always negative. The plate is not heated and it is always
positive. Electron flow is from the negative cathode to the positive plate.
Huum, now if we just put a grid in the spark plug.........

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
EMAIL - BOBMGT@AOL.COM
52 MGTD - under DIY restoration NEMGTR #11470
71 MGB   - AMGBA #96-12029, NAMGBR #7-3336