Re: New Coil

To: "Barney Gaylord" <barneymg@ntsource.com>, <DANMAS@aol.com>
Subject: Re: New Coil
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 07:41:26 -0700
Barney...........

In part, you wrote............

>........ Older single coil systems pass the spark from the coil
>(via the distributor) through the spark plug to ground, and the high
>voltage circuit is completed by the body of the coil also being >grounded.

How, then, is that we successfully test for a defective coil by just
connecting the three wires and not attaching the coil to the car? If the
original coil was bad, the car runs and we then permanently mount the new
coil.

Does the high voltage circuit not really need to be grounded? Or does the
air under the hood also act as a ground?

Lawrie
(Whose years in the trade suggest that coil polarity is actually rather
important)