Re: New Coil

To: DANMAS@aol.com
Subject: Re: New Coil
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 16:41:45 EDT
Hi Dan,
  In his book  MG Tech Talk, Norman Nock writes:
  "The Negative Spark--Coils are normally wound to give a positive earth
spard--that is, the spark plug insulated electrode is negative with
respect to the engine block or earth. We usually refer to this as a
negative spark.
  "Several distinct advantages are obtained. We have the same sparking
efficiency at a 10% reduction in HT voltage required to break down the
gap. By lowering the voltage, the strain on the insulation throughout the
high-tension circuit is considerably reduced --i.e cable insulation,
distributor cap and all mouldings and plugs.
  "We will point ou that if the external connections to the SW and CB
terminals of the coal are reversed, current will flow in the opposite
direction though the coil, reversing the HT spark polarity. In addition,
the auto-transformer action will be lost.
  "A further advantage gained with this negative spark is little or no
wear of the rotor arm. WIth the negative spark, the metal transference is
from the contacts to the rotor and wear is divided equally among the four
fixed electrodes.
  Question #1---is this theory accepted today?
  Question #2---he speaks of the winding of the coil to give a positive
earth spark.  If one changes a + earth car to a - earth and reverses the
leads to the coil,  is this beneficial negative spark effect still
present?
Bob