Operation of the MG ignition system

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Operation of the MG ignition system
From: Ray McCrary <spook01@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 22:47:05 -0500
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have read with interest the various misguided postings as to the
operation of the MG ignition system.

I'm sorry,
Barney, et al, but the truth MUST now be told.......

In the first place, "Spark" is stored in the coil, not in the ignition
switch or battery. The ignition switch and battery DO work in conjunction
with one another, but not in the way erroneously put forth.

The battery actually contains smoke.  Nothing more.  The smoke is there to
mislead people who try to fathom the design and workings of the Lucas
system. A mere subterfuge.

The ignition switch CONTROLS the mixture of smoke and spark by mixing the
proper proportions of each (as well as other, secret forgotten elements)
inside the distributor, and the dizzy (nicknamed so by Archimedes,
discoverer of same while on a serious wine binge) then ships the mixture to
the appropriate cylinder via wires that are actually remnants of the
rigging of the East India fleet.

The so-called "spark" plugs are called by that name because they block the
escape of the "spark" component of the mixture (which is considered VERY
slick).  The spark plugs then dispense the mixture into the cylinder.

That's the short version......I also have explanations of the
"transmission" (a Tory plot) and the rest of the MG, but space doesn't
permit me to send a fuller version.

Best Regards, hope this helps,
Ray

Owner of HERDS of MGs