RE: Better lights or just slow down ?

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Better lights or just slow down ?
From: "Andrew Errington" <ame@synaptics.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 12:09:45 -0700
Hi,

I was thinking of the UK regulations, which specify the allowable
positioning of auxilliary lamps (and state that you can have no more than 4
aux. lamps, which means a pair of fogs and a pair of spots).

Fog lamps must be wired into the sidelight circuit so they may only be
turned on when the sidelights are on, and driving lamps (spot lamps) must be
wired into the main beam circuit (so they go off when you dip your
headlamps).

Of course anyone can wire their lamps any way they like, and it is unlikely
that they will get stopped for it.  What annoys me is people driving around
during normal visibility day or night with these incredibly bright aux.
lamps on.  They are blinding when they come toward you, or if they are
behind you on the motorway or whatever.  Similary the rear fog lights (high
intensity red) are painfully bright if you happen to be following someone
who has them turned on.  They are *excellent* in fog (have you noticed how
easily normal rear lights disappear in mist or fog), but they *hurt* when
the weather is clear.  Sitting behind someone like that with your own lights
on main beam doesn't usually get the message across as the person in front
is usually an idiot who doesn't realise what all the switches in his car do.

</rant>

Andy