Dwell meters on positive ground car?

Subject: Dwell meters on positive ground car?
From: "Dave Ahrendt" <ahrendt@agfa.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 15:32:37 -0400
Hi again,

Well the coil discussion has died down a bit so I thought it may be safe
to ask another EE type question.

Is there any issue using a generic "Sears Craftsman" type tach/dwell/etc.
meter
on a positive ground car?  When I try to check the dwell on my MGA I
connect the +cable from the meter to frame; -cable to battery power and
the sense lead to the distributor.  I expect that the dwell should be about
60 degrees on this car with the points set to .015".  The meter shows
a dwell of about 20 degrees.  If I use the meter to set the dwell to 60 then
the gap is huge.

I wonder if there is some sore of RC circuit in the meter that is getting
confused.  There is nothing in the meters manual that says anything
about positive ground. So how does a dwell meter work anyhow?

BTW, the tach seems to track pretty close to the mechanical tach.

Thanks, Dave