Re: Marina Carburetors

To: "Unger, Larry G" <larry.g.unger@lmco.com>
Subject: Re: Marina Carburetors
From: neil.cairns@virgin.net
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 15:59:09 -0700
Unger, Larry G wrote:

> > The only difference mechanically between the MGB 1798cc
> > and Marina 1798cc engine is...
> >
> > The crankshaft ...[snip]...
> > Otherwise the Marina TC is IDENTICAL to the MGB, even the
> > same BHP,etc.
>
> Hmmm ... so the single 1-3/4" carb provided the same BHP as
> the twin 1-1/2" carb setup?

NO, the TWIN SU HS4 CARB Marina 1800TC ( note the 'TC' bit,) gives the
SAME 95bhp power, the single SU HS6 carb Marina 1800 gives 83bhp.There
is a single carb version, and a twin carb version. The twin carb version
IS the 18V MGB engine, less crankshaft.

> > You have a Marina 1800 single carb manifold, known as the
> > 'log manifold' and used a lot to reduce fuel consumption
> > on MGB's.
>
> Is this the intake manifold style fitted to the early 'B'?
> ... or intake/exhaust lump fitted to the later 'federalized'
> 'B'?

The Single carb LOG manifold was fitted to almost 1,000,000 Morris
Marinas in the UK. It WAS NEVER fitted to the MGB, in the UK as standard
,the MGB has TWIN carburetters. Post 1795 MGBs to some parts of the USA
did use this log-manifild with a single Zenith fitted.

> Doubtful that I will ever apply this bit of knowledge ...
> just curious.

The Marina was a common sedan in the UK, in four versions, using the
1275cc 'A' series known as the Marina 1300, or the Marina 1.8 using the
1798cc SINGLE carb 'B' series, and the Marina 1800 TC, a rather
dangerous car, using the twin carb MGB engine ( with a cheaper
crankshaft.) There was also a van version using the 1098cc ( early MG
Midget) 'A' series.

Clear??

Neil