Re: '74 Midget Reverse Lamp Switch continued

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: '74 Midget Reverse Lamp Switch continued
From: Philip Hubbard <phubbard@carroll.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 1998 08:22:29 -0400
At 09:58 PM 9/2/98 -0400, you wrote:
>The reverse lamp switch on my '73 Midget, and on the spare gearbox I have
>from a '72  is the one on the passenger's side pointing forward, with a
>green and green/brown wire pigtail coming out of it.   Neither of these
>gearboxes has a switch on the left side, so I don't know what Philip's
>leftside switch might be.  My '73 has the seat sensor switch in the
>passenger's seat that illuminates the FASTEN SEATBELT light on the console
>with a weight on the seat, with the ignition on, and the seatbelt
>unfastened, regardless of what gear I am in.

Yes, the switch I thought was the reverse lamp switch is the one pointing
straight forward and it does have a green and green/brown pigtail.  This
seems to be the right wiring according to the wiring diagram.  But, the
other switch also has green/brown and green leads coming from it.  I'll
have to look again to see what my diagram says should be the color of the
leads coming off the seatbelt switch.  The odd thing is that all the
catalogs:  Motorhead, VB and Moss show a switch with bullet connectors for
the reverse lamp switch.  This is what I received from Motorhead and fits
in the spot pointing straight forward.

I'm still going to follow Frank's advice and check out the other switch
though.  Intuitively, it seems it might help even if it turns out not to be
the reverse lamp switch as it definitely has to do with closing the
circuit.  Disconnect it and I get no reverse lamps at all no matter what
gear.  Despite the pictures in the catalogs it seems intuitive that this is
the reverse lamp switch.  I'll post results of trying this out.

Philip
1974 Damask Midget - Arioch, Lord of Chaos