Re: Tuning a Spitfire

To: "Robert Allen" <boballen@sky.net>, "MG List" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>,
Subject: Re: Tuning a Spitfire
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 1998 12:10:27 -0400
Pitch the D*&^ thing and get a Weber DGV. The ZS carb is hardly tunable
let alone adjustable. As I recall even getting different needles was
problematic as they are Emission components and regulated. (Not supposed
to change them). Besides it sounds like this guy is into a little
modification anyway so WDF.

Maybe others will give better advise but after 18 years of fighting and
rebuilding the durn ZS I quit and am VERY happy with the DGV.

Larry Macy
78 Midget

>I don't know what to do now. I would guess that he would be into buying
>some new needles but does anyone have a reference or any advice on which
>way to go? My limited experience with the stromberg tells me that rich
>conditions can only be corrected through the jet needle. The bypass and
>compensator can only cause it to go lean -- not overly rich at idle.
>
>That's the story to this point. Any advice appreciated.
>
>Bob Allen, Kansas City

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu
System Administrator/Manager