Re: Throw-out bearing

To: RJohn50603@aol.com
Subject: Re: Throw-out bearing
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 1998 22:24:44 EDT
On Sun, 6 Sep 1998 07:57:40 EDT RJohn50603@aol.com writes:
CLIPITY CLIP

>I picked the old bearing up for another look 30 minutes later. Upon
>closer
>examination, what I found was bizzare! The two pivot ears on that old
>bearing
>were worn to less than half of their original diameter in the forward,
>rearward direction. The normal diameter of those ears is about .550".
>The
>measurement is now .260" Of all the ways that bearing could fail, the
>extreme
>wear to those pivot ears is amazing considering the slight motion they
>go
>through. I can also tell you I wiped a little grease on those ears
>when the
>bearing was installed five years ago, as I did again today.
>
>The loss of travel by this wear was not letting my clutch disengage
>completely!
>
>By-the-way, the fork appears to have no excessive wear at the
>adajcient points
>(good, because I don't see them in anyone's catalog).
>
>I guess that the bearing manufacturer didn't harden the surface of
>those ears
>properly.
>
>I may contact VB and let them know what happened, but obviously, the
>warrantee
>is up.
>
>Has anyone else seen this???

Yes on just about every roller throw out bearing I've seen!  One, in a
Midget, had the bearing case and ears made of a nylon/plastic material.
Needless to say, it didn't last very long either.
 Because of the experience I've had, along with various friends', I will
not install one in an LBC under any circumstances. Period.
Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget