Re: More Cylinder Head Questions

To: "Chris Delling" <saschris@flash.net>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: More Cylinder Head Questions
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 1998 18:43:01 -0700
Chris, I don't know what the advice of the list will be but the advice of an
old (and today I feel it) British car mechanic is to retorque as soon as the
engine has come up to temperature (when you should also re-adjust the
valves, of course.) And, yes, you do it while the engine is hot. The only
heads you re-torque cold are aluminum heads.

You will be surprised to find that every head nut takes some more torque.
Imagine, now, if you will, leaving the head that loose for 500 miles. Asking
for trouble, isn't it? Especially with the engine's known propensity to weep
coolant out over the spark plugs.

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center