Re: MG 1100s and 1300s

To: MGMagnette@aol.com
Subject: Re: MG 1100s and 1300s
From: neil.cairns@virgin.net
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 1998 11:41:28 -0700
MGMagnette@aol.com wrote:

> How interesting that someone is looking for information on these cars because
> at this moment I'm hunting for one.
>   Basically, for a few brief years, MG was a real full fledged car company
> with a full line of cars.  On the top was the MG Magnette Mk. III and IV,
> based on the Morris Oxford This was a large car with leather and wood and all
> that and four doors.  Next down was the MGB, then the MG 1100 based on the
> Morris 1100 and then the Midget based on the Austin Healey Sprite.
>   The MG 1100 could be had in two or four door version with either a stick or
> a 4-speed automatic which was actually IN the oilpan!   These cars were
> revolutionary in that they were the first and probably the last cars that
> could have the ultimate space-economizing layout of VERY short hood, VERY
> large body (proportionally), and wheels at the extreme corners.  Later,
> crumple zones prevent cars from having such maximized space economy.
>    These cars were pretty technical in thier day, with transverse engines and
> hydrolastic suspension and rack and pinion steering, disc brakes, and a bus-
> like steering wheel.  Also, they were pretty good looking especially in two
> tone, thier body having been designed by Pinninfarina.  Later cars even had
> neat walnut dashboards and sporty guages.
>
> We will have to wait until Niel Cairns picks up on this thread I'm sure he has
> much valuble information to add.
>
> John

The best ones are the last, they had 1275cc engines and Riley instrument
panles. This 1300 Mk2 engine produced 70bhp, could BEAT a MGB and Midget
to 60mph, ( rather embarrassing for MG...........) and touched 95mph
flat out. The engine made more power than the 1275cc Midget, simply
beacuse if they put the 1100/1300 power in the Midget, it would beat the
poor MGB, not a good sales ploy to have your cheaper/smaller car faster
than the big one!!!!

They RUST terribly, spares available from MGRS Group, Rugby UK 01988
815594, ( panels only), and Earlparts, Heanor, UK 01773 719504.
Practical Classics did a 'Buyers Guide' in their Sept 1998 issue, email
< practical.classics@ecm.emap.com >

There was a MG 1100 Mk1, a MG 1100 Mk2, ( 1962-67),a MG 1300 Mk1, and a
MG 1300 Mk2, ( 1967-71). The 1300 Mk1 only has a single SU, not many
made. The MG Mk3 was only a two door model.

Neil