Re: Paint & terrible joke.

To: "MG digest submit" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>, <neil.cairns@virgin.net>
Subject: Re: Paint & terrible joke.
From: Phil Raby <mgworld@chp.ltd.uk>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 11:48:43 +0100
On 14/9/98 9:05 am mgs-owner@autox.team.net said

>    This is NOT a joke...the MGF is getting a rough time, it is
>proving to not be very reliable, and made our prime-time TV in the UK,
>on a programme called " Watchdog". Bits keep falling off, or leak, or
>seize. It only goes to show we now have a new breed of MG owner. One who
>cannot fix his car, but goes running back to the manufacturer. Perhaps
>it is another TR7 AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

This is a typical Watchdog non-story along the lines that all washing
machines should be banned because Mrs Smith from Wrexham's cat got caught
in one.

Roche Bentley of the MG Owners' Club, who was featured on the programme,
in his magazine asked members to report on MGF faults =AD there was a zero
response.

We put a similar plea in MG World =AD just one person contacted us with a
list of minor problems he'd had with his MGF.

Yes, there have been minor niggly problems with MGFs, but they've all
been blown out of proportion by Anne Interfering Robinson and her
cronies. The new cars have had these problems sorted (most related to the
hood which has now been redesigned). Also, dealers have been very quick
to sort out problems. Remember, MG offers a 30 day money back guarantee
on the F. I reckon the sort of people who contact these programmes are
born moaners and wouldn't be happy with any car.

While researching a buyer's guide, I've been talking to an MGF dealer who
has sold over 800 Fs, both new and used. He has not come across any
problem which you can point to and say is a general failing of the car.
In fact, the F appears to be cheaper to run than a Mini! One service a
year for =A3130 and that's it! Still, that wouldn't make good TV, would it?

In reponse to Nevin's question, yes the new Mini will be sold in the US,
I believe thro BMW dealers. The next MG, which will be front-engined,
front-wheel-drive (sadly) will also be sold in the US. It's even possible
that it will be built in the US =AD now there's a frightening thought, if
the Z3 build quality is anything to go by!!

Now, how do I get off this soapbox?

Cheers,

Philip Raby
Editor, MG World
PO Box 163, Bicester OX6 3YS, UK
Tel: 01869 340061 Fax: 01869 340063 Mobile 0467 767361
www.chp.ltd.uk