fuel pump run-on

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: fuel pump run-on
From: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 11:50:23 -0500
Dear MGers,

I have a '65 spridget with a 1275 engine, dual 1.25 SU carbs, and SU fuel
pump. Yesterday afternoon, I turned the ignition key to ON and the fuel
pump kept
pumping, pulsing quite rapidly. I started the car and drove off, but
smelled fuel, a first for this car. When I got home, I tested it by turning
to the key to ON, and the behavior was much different; it just
periodically pulsed (maybe once every 3 seconds). This morning, the pulsing
was also once every 3 secs, but each event was several pulses. It did not
stop.

I seem to remember some posts about a stuck float or some such. Any advice?

TIA,