Re: fuel pump run-on

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: fuel pump run-on
From: RICK JONES <ROJONES@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 11:25:24 +1200
Paul Hunt wrote:

> Jeff Boatright wrote:
> >
> > Dear MGers,
> >
> > I have a '65 spridget with a 1275 engine, dual 1.25 SU carbs, and SU fuel
> > pump. Yesterday afternoon, I turned the ignition key to ON and the fuel
> > pump kept
> > pumping, pulsing quite rapidly. I started the car and drove off, but
> > smelled fuel, a first for this car. When I got home, I tested it by turning
> > to the key to ON, and the behavior was much different; it just
> > periodically pulsed (maybe once every 3 seconds). This morning, the pulsing
> > was also once every 3 secs, but each event was several pulses. It did not
> > stop.
> >
> > I seem to remember some posts about a stuck float or some such. Any advice?
> >
> > TIA,
>
> Sounds just like a stuck float.  Never drive it like this, you can never be
>sure
> where the overflow is dumping the fuel.  When I was having a spate of this in
>my V8
> (before I replaced the in-line filter) I would disconnect the pump and let the
> engine run till the carbs were empty, then reconnected the pump.  The
>resultant rush
> of petrol through the fully-open float valve always cleared any blockage
>(till the
> next time).
>
> PaulH.

Yep, that pump could be pushing fuel out the overflow straight onto a
HOT exhaust. Try cleaning out the needles in the bowl or fit Grosse
jetts. Even these stick at times but can be cured by fitting an in-line
filter to take care of any rust particles the carb screens don't catch.

Rick Jones
Mk2 A   New Zealand