Re: fuel pump run-on

To: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Subject: Re: fuel pump run-on
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 20:46:27 +0000
Jeff Boatright wrote:

> Dear MGers,
>
> I have a '65 spridget with a 1275 engine, dual 1.25 SU carbs, and SU fuel
> pump. Yesterday afternoon, I turned the ignition key to ON and the fuel
> pump kept
> pumping, pulsing quite rapidly. I started the car and drove off, but
> smelled fuel, a first for this car. When I got home, I tested it by turning
> to the key to ON, and the behavior was much different; it just
> periodically pulsed (maybe once every 3 seconds). This morning, the pulsing
> was also once every 3 secs, but each event was several pulses. It did not
> stop.
>
> I seem to remember some posts about a stuck float or some such. Any advice?
>
> TIA,

Sounds just like a stuck float.  Never drive it like this, you can never be
sure
where the overflow is dumping the fuel.  When I was having a spate of this in
my V8
(before I replaced the in-line filter) I would disconnect the pump and let the
engine run till the carbs were empty, then reconnected the pump.  The resultant
rush
of petrol through the fully-open float valve always cleared any blockage (till
the
next time).

PaulH.