RE: New MGF For Sale in USA? Can I buy two?

To: "MG digest submit" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>,
Subject: RE: New MGF For Sale in USA? Can I buy two?
From: Phil Raby <mgworld@chp.ltd.uk>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 10:47:05 +0100
On 15/9/98 9:05 am mgs-owner@autox.team.net said

>I have said this before but, no one ever answered.  I can get a LHD MGF for
>about DM 40,000 (U.S. $ 23,000) postage is extra.  Not much, though.  I
>shipped my MGB from NH, U.S.A. to Germany (door to door for $1500).  I have
>tried to determine what modifications are needed to get an MGF into the
>U.S., but have been unsuccessful.  I can't get an intelligent answer from
>anyone.  Probably because the Europeans don't care what a car needs to leave
>Europe,  and the American authorities over here are just as clueless (Um, a
>speedometer in MPH, maybe - oh, perhaps different headlights - gee, I don't
>know about safety glass standards, etc.), so no one that I can find knows.

I've also been unable to determine whether or not an MGF would be legal
in the US. If the car's LHD, surely the headlamps would be correct? A MPH
speedo would be easy enogh to get from the UK.

Does a personal import to the USA need type approval?? Surely not,
otherwise people would not be able to take in older MGs?

Boring fact coming up: did you know it's illegal to drive a LHD car in
Australia. Must be because of all that traffic congestion ;-)

Cheers,

Philip Raby
Editor, MG World
PO Box 163, Bicester OX6 3YS, UK
Tel: 01869 340061 Fax: 01869 340063 Mobile 0467 767361
www.chp.ltd.uk