RE: New MGF For Sale in USA? Can I buy two?

To: Phil Raby <mgworld@chp.ltd.uk>, "MG digest submit" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>,
Subject: RE: New MGF For Sale in USA? Can I buy two?
From: Leckstein <bleckstein@mail.monmouth.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 06:47:27 -0400
At 10:47 AM 9/15/98 +0100, Phil Raby wrote:
>On 15/9/98 9:05 am mgs-owner@autox.team.net said
>
>>I have said this before but, no one ever answered.
>>U.S., but have been unsuccessful.  I can't get an intelligent answer from
>

>I've also been unable to determine whether or not an MGF would be legal
>in the US. If the car's LHD, surely the headlamps would be correct? A MPH
>speedo would be easy enogh to get from the UK.
>
>Does a personal import to the USA need type approval?? Surely not,
>otherwise people would not be able to take in older MGs?

>Cheers,
>
>Philip Raby
Phil, I thought this has been answered before, You can not import an MGF
for personal use if you are a U.S. resident, working here. ( I know of one
brought in on a temp basis by someone using special plates from NATO) It
isn't a matter of a speedo. There are a list of DOT requirements and I
believe that unlike in the 1980's where a private company could make these
changes (gray market)  it must now be done by the manufacturer. The
emission equipment  must have a long guarantee with it , and the
manufacturer will not guarantee cars it did not import.Thus the
manufacturer controls what can be imported.

Older cars are exempt. Any pre 1967 needs no certification, later years to
a point can be upgraded. Newer cars from the 90's can't. I imported a 53 YB
with no requirements.

The specifications for import are extremely complicated and someone not too
long ago posted a web site on it. Nonetheless this is the basic reasons.

Mike
Older MG