Re: A Daily Driver Falling off the Wagon

To: nogera1@juno.com (bob nogueira), mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: A Daily Driver Falling off the Wagon
From: Carol <car@intersatx.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 17:39:00 -0500
OK, Bobert....

At 11:54 PM 9/21/98 -0500, bob nogueira wrote:
>Okay LBC support group, I may need an intervention here!  I've been
>driving my MGBGT as my daily driver for the past 9 years and recently
>started thinking of retiring it.  Its not the heat,... and its not  comfort
>....it has required  almost no  maintenance.

got it...

>My problem is that it  has reached the point where everything needs
>redoing,  I Figure I'm looking at 1500.00 for a engine rebuild, 1000.00
>for an interior, 600.00 to buy paint and materials for a refinish. Throw
>in tires, a new steering wheel, new windshield and I'll have another 3000
>to 4000 dollars in the car plus  months of labor.

Why do a complete resto? Redo the engine if it needs it and keep driving.
Tires, when needed. Steering wheel for Christmas (like Barney said). Paint
it when you feel like it.

> The idea of just parking it

One of the kindest phrases I've ever read was written to me when I was
trying to decide how to handle my '68 Firebird by a f-body-classic list
member: "Remember.... the longer she sits, the more she loses her soul."

>and  picking up a  more conventional  daily driver is growing
>appealing.

How much for a 'more conventional' BORING daily driver?? Eh??!! $3,000?
$5,000? $10,000? More? And how much maintenance time for you to give up
with an additional vehicle to tend to? Eh??!!

> I would still have my Morgan Plus 4 to drive

But not every day.

>and  the time I
>am save not rebuilding my BGT could be spent on finishing  my Morgan
>Drophead Coupe and my Issetta  restorations.

Geez, Bob! You STILL don't have those restos done??! Last summer you MAY
have had an excuse. So... what's the deal??

>So fella LBC drivers , save  me from a mistake give me some support for
>remaining a LBC daily driver .

I'll tell Susan.

>PS  The BGT will not be sold just retired since my wife bought it for me!

Remember the soul story.... keep it running or sell it.

So... you asked, and one of your most ardent admirers has replied! Whatcha
gonna do? I say "keep it on the road!"

Carol