Re: A Daily Driver Falling off the Wagon

To: "Pat Bailey" <pbailey@qnet.com>, "bob nogueira" <nogera1@juno.com>
Subject: Re: A Daily Driver Falling off the Wagon
From: "Mike Gigante" <mikeg@vicnet.net.au>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 10:43:14 -0700
Bob, Don't retire your GT!!!

Once you have fixed it up you'll fall in love with it all over again and
wonder how you could have possibly contemplated retiring it!

Why don't you just think about one job at a time - make a master plan
with a sequencing chart. Concentrate on one thing at a time and don't
try and do too much (or think about too much!) at a atime.

My suggestion is

1) suspension/tyres/shocks - so the car *feels* great to drive. This will
     perk you up I'm sure. Don't compromise here if you can help it.

2) gearbox - because there is no point putting a strong motor on a suspect
     gearbox.

3) engine. Could be everything from a stock rebuild to a bit more grunt.
     Personally, I'd definately upgrade the cam a little (more duration and
     more lift) - the motor is certainly capable of using it. This is a low
cost
     option and gives good HP/Torque for low $$$. I'd also put a nice set
     of headers on and optionally a Weber. With those few changes, you'll
     have a very strong motor and won't have compromised normal use.
     From there the choice is unlimited....

4) paint - exterior only. Any rust repairs that may be needed at the same
     time.

5) interior

6) engine bay, minor trim etc.

You could spread this out over a few years and still have an enjoyable car
drive all the way through. You'd end up with a beautiful car as well!

Don't fall into the trap of trying to do everything at once - too many of
these
projects start, not enough finish and another LBC will likely disappear
forever.

Mike