Re: Cylinder Head Install ..... Arggg

To: "Nick Coleman" <coleman@sd.aonix.com>, <JustBrits@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: Cylinder Head Install ..... Arggg
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 1998 18:26:58 -0700
Nick.............

Do I understand you correctly - you were putting 40 ft. lbs. of torque on a
rocker stud? No wonder the poor little thing broke!

Whatever you decide to fit by way of replacements, there's no need for
anywhere that amount of torque on a rocker stud! I've been building British
engines for years and the only things on a head that I torque are the head
nuts themselves. The rocker studs and manifold studs (which have lock
washers, by the way; a clue - if you see a lock washer, there's probably not
going to be a torque spec.) should just be tightened as you would any other
5/16th nut.

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center