Indy Brit Motor Days - "Trip Report" (longish)

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Indy Brit Motor Days - "Trip Report" (longish)
From: "Dan Ray" <danray@bluegrass.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 1998 22:06:21 -0500
    Listers, I'd say the Indy show was a success. At least 250 cars and
great weather (hot though). I think the Jag Driver's Club were the primary
sponsors. ahem...no further comment, I love jags as cars, honest. The lady
pulling up in the 98 XJR just gave me a chuckle, though.
    Today I ticked over 5000 miles on "Punkin" since I bought the car in
January, and most of those miles have been since May - that's about 1K per
month, and work is a mile from the house. Indy is a long 2.5 hour interstate
drive and she performed flawlessly at a steady 65-70 mph and ~24 mpg (27 is
the highest I've recorded). On the way back we stopped to help the S**tfire
along the side - they had a cellphone and AAA enroute, the guy grumbling
something about "british cars" and "vapor lock"  - I may have been too smug
when I said I had neither phone nor a clubcard, but ensured the car was in
proper tune before such long jaunts. ;) Then we wizzed past the two
Louisville club TR-7s chugging along home with a wave and "buh-bye". hehe.
I'm tempting fate, I need a clubcard!
    I finally met Mike Razor in person, but I missed Bob Donahue and Chris
Kotting (sorry Bob, it was just too huge to find you in the short time). We
got there a bit late (12pm) but stayed for a couple of hours, judged the
cars, and checked out the vendors. There were more vendors at this show than
I've ever seen, including MG98. The show was mixed marque, except for the
"master class" and the Jags. ahem again... All else were competing against
Big Healeys, Morris Minors, Bs, As, Midgets, bugeyes, Lotus 7s, Morgans,
etc..in the same row. I was parked next to a worn but capable-looking Land
Rover that looked like it had come off the pages of National Geographic.
Actually I thought it was an interesting method, since the winner SHOULD be
the one with the best car, regardless of Marque (and what IS best, anyway?).
I only voted for one awesome black '64 B. All my other votes went to the
most interesting or best, except the master class, and I voted for a fellow
club member's TR-3 -- so sue me. I didn't stick around for the trophy
awards, since the sun began taking its toll on the SO and me!
    I guess when I retire (or get out of the army) I'll be able to go to one
of these things for the whole deal, with a car that can compete in the
saturday rally and the sunday show with a chance. Shows should be about
relaxing and hanging around and talking cars, but I can't seem to get a
break on that one. Until then, I fix what breaks, improve what's not --
budget allowing and DRIVE. Overall, life ain't bad I guess.

Dan
73 B