Re: Motor hot at high speed - Was "new question???"

To: "Kulka, Matt" <Matt.Kulka@hboc.com>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Motor hot at high speed - Was "new question???"
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 18:55:10 -0700
Matt.....

Another cause of engines running hotter at speed than at idle is a defective
vacuum advance unit. The engine needs more advance at a steady high speed;
if the vacuum unit is defective, the engine will run retarded which makes it
run hotter than it should.

To check,  remove the distributor cap, disconnect - at the manifold end -
the line that goes from the vacuum unit to the intake manifold, then either
suck very hard or use a vacuum pump to pull a vacuum on that line. When
doing so, you should see the distributor base plate (where the points are
mounted) rotate clockwise. If it doesn't, either your source of vacuum isn't
strong enough or your vacuum unit is shot.

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center
(who is really proud of himself for not mentioning Monica in this