Re: Paint Question

To: prsmith@navnet.net
Subject: Re: Paint Question
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Sat, 03 Oct 1998 03:38:26 -0400
prsmith@navnet.net wrote:

> A friend is going to paint my car with an alkyd base enamel.

  Don't.

  Use acrylic enamel. Looks better, lasts longer, and if you don't
use hardener, it isn't any more toxic than Alkyd.

  I sprayed my B with Dupont Centari, and it came out great. The
paint was $47CDN a quart for my chosen blue, and you can do a whole
MGB with just two quarts. Add $40 for thinner, and if you are priming,
add another $80 or so.

  Alkyd enamel is the bottom of the line. If money is that tight,
buy Bodypro paint and use Acrylic. Bodypro paint is only $65/gallon
and works alright. They make it cheaper partially in formulation
but also because they don't color match it. It comes in exactly
150 different shades, and that's it. Pick your favourite.

> Also, is there a product available (particularly in Canada) that will
> remove any silicone form the body prior to enamel application?

  Dupont Kleen-Sol works well.

  Trouble with it is that it is $40/gallon, and you can't get it
in less than a gallon. (at least around here). A gallon will last
you a few cars.

  What part of Canada are you in? I bought everything I needed
at good old UAP. Most cities that have a few UAPs have one
that basically only does body stuff.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca